What is Restoril?
Restoril is a brand name of the generic drug temazepam. Temazepam is used on a short-term basis to treat insomnia (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep). Restoril and other benzodiazepines are classified as schedule IV depressants by Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) . This means that they still are considered substances with high potential for abuse and dependence, even though they have a medical purpose. It acts by reducing activity in the brain to allow sleep.
Restoril may be habit-forming and may cause physical dependency (a condition in which uncomfortable physical symptoms happen if a medication is suddenly discontinued or taken in smaller doses), mainly if you take it for several days to several weeks. . Street names for Benzodiazepines are Benzos, Downers, Nerve Pills, and Tranks. 
Although it is a schedule IV drug, you should be very careful taking this drug. This drug has black box warnings. The following are the most severe warnings from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA):
- Suicidal Thinking and Behavior Warning: This drug can increase the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults. This is more likely to happen during the first few months of treatment with this drug. When you or your child first starts taking this drug, your doctor and family should watch closely. They should look for changes in behavior or worsening signs of depression.
- Dangerous Effects with Opioid Use: Using this drug with opioid drugs, such as hydrocodone, or codeine, can cause hazardous effects. Your risk is more eminent if you take high doses of either drug and take them for a long time. Call your doctor right away if you or someone you’re caring for has symptoms of unusual dizziness or lightheadedness, extreme sleepiness, slowed or difficult breathing, or unresponsiveness. These symptoms can lead to coma and even death.
- Misuse and Addiction: Taking this medication can lead to abuse and addiction. This can increase your risk of overdose and death.
- Physical Dependence and Withdrawal Reactions: Taking this medication for several days to weeks can cause physical dependence and withdrawal reactions. Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without talking with your doctor. If you suddenly stop taking this medication, you may have withdrawal symptoms, which can be life-threatening.
Get Your Life Back
Find Hope & Recovery. Get Safe Comfortable Detox, Addiction Rehab & Mental Health Dual Diagnosis High-Quality Care at the We Level Up Treatment Centers Network.Hotline (877) 378-4154
Common Side Effects
According to the US Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) , the use of benzodiazepines, including Restoril, exposes users to risks of abuse, misuse, and addiction. This can lead to overdose or death. Abuse and misuse of benzodiazepines commonly involve the accompanying use of other medications, alcohol, and illicit substances. This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Hangover Effect (feeling groggy the day after you take temazepam)
Some Side Effects Can Be Severe And May Include:
- Swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, or eyes
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
Symptoms of overdose may include slowed breathing or a deep sleep from which you cannot be awakened.
Symptoms Of Overdose May Include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Slow or difficult breathing
- Unusual Thoughts and Behavior Warning: Temazepam can cause strange ideations and responses. While taking this drug, some people have driven, prepared, and eaten food, made phone calls, or had sex at times when they were not wholly awake.
- Severe Allergic Effect Warning: This drug can cause a severe allergic reaction. Call emergency help and go to the emergency room right away if you have inflammation of your face, tongue, or throat or you have difficulty breathing. A severe allergic reaction may cause death. You shouldn’t retake this prescription if you’ve ever had an allergic reaction to it.
- Severe Drowsiness Warning: Even if you take temazepam as prescribed, you may still have intense drowsiness and impairment the next day. It would help if you didn’t drive or do other activities that require you to be alert. You can start doing those works once you feel fully conscious.
- Withdrawal Warning: You may have withdrawal symptoms if you discontinue taking temazepam abruptly. Withdrawal symptoms can be severe, including seizures, shakiness; stomach and muscle cramps, vomiting, and sweating. Mild withdrawal symptoms can include a depressed mood and discomfort sleeping. Talk to your doctor or a medical professional before you cease taking this drug.
Get Help. Get Better. Get Your Life Back.
Searching for Accredited Drug & Alcohol Rehab Centers Near You? Or Mental Health Support?
Even if you have failed previously, relapsed, or are in a difficult crisis, we stand ready to support you. Our trusted behavioral health specialists will not give up on you. Call us when you feel ready or want someone to speak to about therapy alternatives to change your life. Even if we cannot assist you, we will lead you wherever you can get support. There is no obligation. Call our hotline today.FREE Addiction Hotline – Call 24/7
The Need For Restoril Detox
Restoril is typically prescribed as a short-term sleeping aid and begins to act quickly, usually 10-20 minutes. Restoril is also helpful to treat anxiety by lessening the level of neurotransmitter activity in the brain. However, any Restoril prescription should not be for more than 10 days. Any dosage beyond this period may be questionable and, at the very least, addictive.
Like any benzodiazepine, Restoril attaches to gamma-aminobutyric acids. These chemicals are found in the brain and throughout the nervous system. Once connected, Restoril begins to act like a GABA by lessening neuron activity in the nervous system. As a result, the brain gets less communication, which, in turn, produces a range of sedative-hypnotic effects on the mind and body; including increased levels of relaxation and sleep, diminished stress and pain, and more stable moods.
As the brain becomes more and more customary to the chemical activity, the body reacts when Restoril medications are either discontinued entirely or reduced in concentration and frequency. This is called withdrawal.
Symptoms Associated With Restoril Detox Withdrawal May Include:
- Muscle cramps
- Abdominal pain
The good news is that a gradual, progressive decline of Restoril will limit the severity of withdrawal until the body is completely rid of the medication.
The safest way of discontinuing the drug is to get into Restoril detox where you can get access to medical care 24/7.
First-class Facilities & Amenities
World-class High-Quality Addiction & Mental Health Rehabilitation TreatmentRehab Centers Tour
Renowned Addiction Centers. Serene Private Facilities. Inpatient rehab programs vary.Addiction Helpline (877) 378-4154
Proven recovery success experience, backed by a Team w/ History of:
- 15+ Years Experience
- 100s of 5-Star Reviews
- 10K+ Recovery Successes
- Low Patient to Therapist Ratio
- Onsite Medical Detox Center
- Comprehensive Dual-Diagnosis Treatment
- Complimentary Family & Alumni Programs
- Coaching, Recovery & Personal Development Events
Restoril Detox Withdrawal Timeline
When the amount of Restoril is either discontinued abruptly or reduced, an individual who has become dependent on the benzodiazepine will experience withdrawal, typically for one to four weeks. Depending on the individual’s genetics, frequency of use, and dosage, the stages might follow a similar timeline.
Because Restoril has a half-life of about nine hours, symptoms from withdrawal may surface within six to 24 hours after the latest dose. Symptoms might include anxiety, appetite loss, nausea, and trouble sleeping; fluctuations in blood pressure, mood swings, depression, and cravings to return to use for the next couple of days.
Physical and psychological symptoms escalate from one to four days, including nausea, anxiety, and fatigue. The likelihood of seizures and hallucinations should not be excluded.
During the next one to two weeks, symptoms steadily lessen.
After the first two weeks, some individuals will encounter the return of post-acute withdrawal symptoms, most of which may be psychological.
Restoril Detox Benefits
What commenced as a well-intentioned effort at a good night’s sleep has changed into a nightmare for you and your loved ones.
The truth is that Restoril detox at either a hospital or residential substance abuse treatment facility may be your most dependable and most comfortable option. Here, a doctor can treat your dependency by gradually lessening Restoril dosages.
To depreciate the awful side effects of Restoril withdrawal, a doctor may also prescribe medications to relieve symptoms while highly trained staff monitor your vitals to prevent further complications.
Detox was your wake-up call, but to guarantee that you remain free from sleeping pills, further treatment at a residential substance abuse facility is highly advised, particularly for individuals with a history of addiction or alcoholism. During this stay, clients are exposed to group therapy, one-on-one counseling, educational lectures and, workshops as part of a comprehensive recovery plan.
World-class, Accredited, 5-Star Reviewed, Effective Addiction & Mental Health Programs. Complete Behavioral Health Inpatient Rehab, Detox plus Co-occuring Disorders Therapy.CALL (877) 378-4154
End the Addiction Pain. End the Emotional Rollercoaster. Get Your Life Back. Start Drug, Alcohol & Dual Diagnosis Mental Health Treatment Now. Get Free No-obligation Guidance by Substance Abuse Specialists Who Understand Addiction & Mental Health Recovery & Know How to Help.
Medically Assisted Restoril Detox
The most severe symptoms will happen when someone stops “cold turkey.” This means the person stopped using all at once instead of tapering off the medication gradually. A sudden stop will trigger intense physical and emotional symptoms in the client within twelve hours after the last dose. In some instances, these symptoms can be dangerous.
A person must seek treatment to avoid these potentially fatal concerns. If you were to experience seizures or delirium tremens (DTs), you must be in the care of medical professionals who can take the proper precautions. If you are alone, you may succumb to your symptoms. Medical detox is designed to treat severe withdrawals safely and effectively.
Medically supervised Restoril detox seeks to lessen these risks with a tapering off schedule and the supervision of trained, qualified medical staff. If someone can safely detox in a controlled and supportive environment, they’re at less risk of experiencing a relapse because of the pain of withdrawal.
During Restoril detox, the objective is to help the individual stop using the drug while lessening symptoms and ensuring that vitals stay healthy. In addition, during Restoril detox, a patient may be evaluated for co-occurring mental health conditions.
Restoril Detox and Recovery at We Level Up New Jersey
At We Level Up NJ, our thorough approach to rehabilitation supports several levels of care to ensure the best possible outcome for every client who enters our doors. From an intensive and more supportive atmosphere for those in the early days of recovery to a comfortable residential-style living dynamic upon completion of Restoril detox, we are here to help guide you down the safe and results-based path to your sobriety.
Seek medical care immediately if you have taken too much Restoril. Do not use other drugs in the hope of reversing the effects.
Experience Transformative Recovery at the We Level Up Treatment Center.
See our authentic success stories. Get inspired. Get the help you deserve.
Start a New Life
Begin with a free call to an addiction & behavioral health treatment advisor. Learn more about our dual-diagnosis programs. The We Level Up treatment center network delivers various recovery programs at each treatment facility. Call to learn more.
- Personalized Care
- Caring Accountable Staff
- World-class Amenities
- Licensed & Accredited
- Renowned w/ 5-Star Reviews